RFID Security Alliance to Discuss Secure Implementation of
RFID in the Pharmaceutical Supply Chain
Expert Panel Convening at 2009 INTERPHEX Pharmaceutical Conference
Sausalito, CA, February 24, 2009 – Members of the RFID Security Alliance (RFIDSA) are participating in a panel discussion at the 2009 INTERPHEX conference titled “Securely Implementing RFID in the Pharmaceutical Supply Chain.” The talk will be presented on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 from 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Jacob K. Javits Center in New York, NY.
“Educating the users of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology about security and privacy issues is one of the RFIDSA’s primary objectives, so speaking at INTERPHEX is a great fit for us,” said Mike Ahmadi, chairman of the RFIDSA. “RFID technology offers several benefits to the pharmaceutical industry, especially for track & trace and e-pedigree applications; however, the technology also introduces a number of new business risks that need to be balanced.”
Anyone interested in using RFID tags as part of their pharmaceutical supply chain, including representatives from logistics, IT and packaging, should be asking these questions:
- Is there a strong security model in place now (pre-RFID) and will the introduction of RFID increase or decrease security issues?
- What are the product safety and patient/consumer privacy issues that are encountered when deploying RFID within the pharmaceutical industry?
- Will the introduction of RFID provide other benefits that may outweigh these issues?
- What is more important – safety or privacy? Are they mutually exclusive? Should they be?
- Data security is generally what people think about when considering RFID security. However, how does physical security play into the overall picture?
- What options are there for providing security and protecting privacy within RFID solutions?
- How can a firm determine right security level for their pharmaceutical RFID application?
Members of the RFID Security Alliance will discuss these issues plus strategies to minimize or mitigate risks associated with implementing RFID solutions. To fully enjoy the benefits of RFID, these risks need to be addressed adequately. A holistic approach is required analyzing a RFID system end-to-end to identify potential threats and their business impact.
Panel participants include these RFIDSA members:
- Louis Parks, President and CEO of SecureRF Corporation
- Andrew Strauch, Vice President, Product Marketing and Management at MIKOH Corporation
- Bikash Chatterjee, President and CTO of Pharmatech Associates Inc.
- Michael McCartney, Founder and Principal of QLM Consulting
- Mike Spinney, Principal of SixWeight
About the RFID Security Alliance
The RFID Security Alliance (RFIDSA) was founded as a resource for the RFID industry, driving market education and discussion about security and privacy issues surrounding the use of RFID technologies, solutions and applications. More information about RDIDSA can be found on its Web site at www.RFIDSA.com. Insights into RFID Security can be also found on the association’s blog at http://rfidsa.blogspot.com/.
The INTERPHEX Conference and Exhibition is the world’s largest gathering of professionals and technology providers for the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry, now in its 30th year. Scheduled for 17-19 March at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, USA, the 2009 exhibition will feature more than 950 exhibitors, an expanded conference program, and a high-profile roster of industry professionals and speakers. INTERPHEX is the world’s most trusted source for insight into issues, education, products and services, with a wealth of innovative strategies and solutions for company and project success. For information, visit www.interphex.com.